Paul Klemperer leads a Horn Section Workshop, open to horn players with basic to intermediate skills who want to fine-tune their section playing in popular styles like Blues, R&B, Funk and Swing Jazz.
If interested, contact Paul Klmeperer: email firstname.lastname@example.org
Date: May 26 2012. 9:30am – 3:00pm.
Location: 1704 Westmoor Drive, Austin TX, 78723
Price: $50. Lunch, printed materials & CD included.
9:30 – 10:00am: Arrive/Setup. Handout of materials.
10:00 – 11:00am: Introduction to material covered.
1. Common styles of horn section and their historical origins.
2. Types and function of different horn sections: Intros/Outros, Riffs, Pads, Stabs/Punches, Fills, Call & Answer.
3. Analysis of sample horn charts.
4. Exercises, individual questions.
11:00am – Noon: Putting it together.
1. Playing through songs/charts. Knowing what to expect.
2. Practical examples of gig situations. Reality vs. theory.
3. Create working horn sections. Assignment of parts.
Noon – 1:00pm: Lunch, discussion.
1:00 – 2:00pm: Horn section performances.
2:00 – 2:30pm: Evaluation, Feedback, Q & A.
2:30 – 3:00pm: Practice plans, goals, upcoming events.
Charts for selected songs:
(Tenor sax, Alto sax, Bari sax, Trumpet, Trombone, Concert)
Checklist and exercises
CD with sample backing tracks